This hearty vegetarian chili is packed with plant-based protein and flavour. It's a satisfying and nutritious meal that will keep you full and energized. Below, you'll find the estimated calorie and protein content per serving.
For the Chili:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 jalapeño pepper, finely chopped (adjust to your spice preference)
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 oz) kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can (15 oz) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
1 cup vegetable broth
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup frozen corn kernels
1 cup quinoa, cooked
For Topping (optional):
Chopped fresh cilantro
Greek yogurt or vegan yogurt
Grated cheddar cheese or vegan cheese
Sliced green onions
1. Prepare the Chili:
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion, garlic, red and green bell peppers, carrots, celery, and jalapeño pepper. Sauté for about 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables are softened.
2. Add the Beans and Tomatoes:
- Stir in the black beans, kidney beans, chickpeas, crushed tomatoes, and vegetable broth.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes, allowing the flavours to meld.
3. Add the Corn and Quinoa:
- Stir in the frozen corn kernels and cooked quinoa. Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes until the chili is heated through.
4. Adjust Seasoning:
- Taste the chili and adjust the seasoning, adding more salt, pepper, or spices as needed to suit your preference.
5. Serve and Enjoy:
- Ladle the hot chili into bowls.
- If desired, top with chopped cilantro, a dollop of Greek yogurt or vegan yogurt, grated cheddar cheese or vegan cheese, sliced green onions, and sliced avocado.
Calorie and Protein Content (Per Serving):
- Approximately 350-400 calories (depending on portion size and toppings)
- Approximately 12-15 grams of protein (varies based on portion size and brands of ingredients used)
This high-protein vegetarian chili is not only delicious but also nutritious. It's an excellent source of plant-based protein from beans and quinoa, making it a satisfying and filling meal. Enjoy its hearty goodness while staying mindful of portion sizes for calorie control.